Re: [Amc-list] LPG 258

Jim Blair wrote:
> I'm planning to write an article on it for the mainstream news. May have to call in a few favors to get it published though! (The Butane thing is bugging me, but not as bad as the lack of LPG vehicle facilities on the West Coast now)

That wold be cool, I wonder at the current state of the art and state of
legality.

When I did mine in the late 80's, it was quite legal. I had it smogged,
had to call the DMV referree to get the smog tech to press "P" (or L or
something) for fuel instead of "G". Then it tested and passed and all
that. (It was status: 'revived junk', that's the actual DMV status of
the car I bought from the wrecking yard).

Since then though, the "conversion kits" stopped getting approval for
outside (non-OEM) shops to convert, and you could not longer buy them.
(I didn't buy one, who makes kits for Ramblers?) But the availability
kits just meant that conversions were per se legal.

One way or another LP conversions fell off the list.

In the 90's I moved to Arizona (where I told them 'LPG powered' and they
gave me a blue alternative fuel plate!).

When I moved back to CA, and had to get the "VIN" inspection I didn't
even tell them it was LPG powered. The hood was open but clearly they
(1) didn't look and (2) wouldln't know LPG if it sprayed themin the face.