Re: [Amc-list] 232 intake manifold gasket

Thomas Garner wrote:
> I bought the intake/exhaust gasket set for my 232. It had to gasket's for the intake, one with and without the exhaust gasket. I think I was told that this engine didn't use an exhaust gasket.
>
> Ok, I took the intake and exhaust manifold off of my engine and discovered that somebody had put BOTH gaskets on. The small blue one for the intake AND the big long silver one for the intake and exhaust.
>  That's not right is it?

I never trusted the single metal-and-something inner, "exhaust" gasket.
The intake seal just seems to sketchy. I put both on. Who knows if it's
better or worse.

In any case, you MUST loosen the bolts that hold the intake to exhaust,
and tighten them AFTER you tighten the mani-to-head bolts. Look and see
howe it is constructed...

The post-1980 manifolds are superior in this regard if for no reason.
They don't touch. They still warp though!

On the 81? aluminum intake I used on my '70, I used only the inner
metal-sandwich gasket, and put a thin bead of Right Stuff on the gasket
face and the manifold face. NOW I NOW IT IS SEALED!!

This manifold business is one of the worst aspects of this engine.

I wonder: is manifold warping continuous, or does it get it all out of
it's system in the first few decades of operation?

Assuming you don't overheat it or something, once you take a warped one
and have it ground/sanded flat, will it stay that way "forever" or at
least much longer? I suspect there's some "aging" going on in these
inexpensive castings.