Re: [Amc-list] 83 Eagle conversion to 2WD

It bolted right in and we had to use the extra holes (already there in the '81 Eagle wagon frame) for the steering struts (I had to look at my '82 Spirit's front to see how it was to remember, but I don't have an Eagle handy to look at) The Eagle's were bolted to the front and we had to swap it all out.
   The floor hump was extended on the passenger's side to move the motor, but they left the driver's side stamp alone except to add the tcase hump. The only weight saving would be the front diff, driveshaft and tcase (approx = 1 average person) My '83 Eagle wagon handled FAR better than my '82 Spirit and got the same economy. No real savings switching to 2wd and less traction for winter months. (I'd like my Spirit to be 4x4 with a little more ground clearance to get in and out of my cabin's 4 miles of class 2 trail that imitates a road and driveway!)

From: Brien Tourville
Subject: [Amc-list] 83 Eagle conversion to 2WD
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Jim - you're saying the 2wd Concord 6 cross member bolts into an Eagle cleanly ?

How was the clearance between bell housing & Eagle floor pan once the engine
was centered back 2" to the driver side [concord cross member] ?

What was the drive shaft alignment to the Eagle rear diff. like ?

AFAIK you can crop a pair of front axle shafts to make stubs that will retain the
Eagle disc brake hubs.

Converting to a 2wd would considerably lighten an Eagle front end - better MPG
and handling.

A 4.0 long block weighs 360lbs.

Put a Turbo where the Transfer Case fit under that huge floor blister.