[Amc-list] 83 Eagle conversion to 2WD

Jim - you're saying the 2wd Concord 6 cross member bolts into an Eagle cleanly ?

How was the clearance between bell housing & Eagle floor pan once the engine
was centered back 2" to the driver side [concord cross member] ?

What was the drive shaft alignment to the Eagle rear diff. like ?

AFAIK you can crop a pair of front axle shafts to make stubs that will retain the
Eagle disc brake hubs.

Converting to a 2wd would considerably lighten an Eagle front end - better MPG
and handling.

A 4.0 long block weighs 360lbs.

Put a Turbo where the Transfer Case fit under that huge floor blister.

>  I helped do the frame crossbar swap. It just unbolted from the 2wd and 4wd rigs
>  (didn't know about the mounts being offset at the time though)
>  3.08 and 4.10 were also available ratios in the Eagles. (I have a 3.08 front
>  still) -  Jim
>

> > From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
> > Subject: Re: [Amc-list] 83 eagle
> > To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> > " From: russ hathaway
> > "
> > " I came upon an 83 Eagle 2 dr, the short Spirit style. It is in nice
> > " shape and nicely equiped too, but I don't need AWD. Has anyone ever
> > " converted the 4x4 to 4x2? I see it as swapping the xmember and all the
> > " front end stuff. That is no prob as I have a complete 82 Concorde
> > " front end sitting in milk crates. With Prothane's and local Jeep place
> > " I can all 4x2 bushings. This will help me to use up some of my parts
> > " laying around.
> >
> > you can't just swap crossmembers as the frame horns are -way-
> > different.  if you want to cut and swap the front subframe and inner
> > fender panels you could do it...
> >
> > " Anything I need to look for or be made aware of. Can I just swap in an
> > " ordinary tranny or just disable the transfer case? What gearing will
> > " be in that rear end? Anyone want 4x4 parts. I will probably get the
> > " thing this week end........Russ
> >
> > a 2wd tranny would be possible.  gears included 2.35 and 2.73 with
> > 258s and 3.54 with 4-cyls, and probably others.
> >
> > i agree with joe [?] though; if it's in good shape it's worth more as
> > it is.
> > Andrew Hay                                  the genius nature
> > internet rambler                            is to see what all have seen
> > adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                       and think what none thought

---
Virus Database (VPS): 080705-0, 07/05/2008
Tested on: 7/6/2008 5:35:16 AM