[Amc-list] Fuel economy

This excerpt is from a previously closed discussion, but as it's directly AMC related, so I am commenting on it. The MPG ratings below are real, BUT what a lot of these Jeep guys with the higher economy aren't including is the added overdrives and aftermarket EFI that got the AMC V8s to that point. Only a few of us have done the 4.0L (and stroker) conversion in FSJs, so the economy rating isn't the same as fuellie V8s.
   The anemically carbed 258 springs to life and uses less fuel when injected. Coupled to a more efficient trans (5 speed or AW4) the mpg should be @20 mpg average.

" From: Brien Tourville
"
"
"
" I'm having 'Issues' :
"
" $5.00 Gal. Gasoline / 20 Gal. Tank = $100.00.
"
"
" Googled up the AMC 360 V8 today wondering of best
" mileage achieved - ran across JEEPers talking 360 vs 258
" mpg comparisons.
"
" Surprisingly, the 360 between 13 - 24 mpg with the
" 258 at 14 - 21 mpg.
"
" Not written in stone - some had swamper 31" etc. -
" but general consensus held a 360 V-8 could deliver
" better mileage than a 258 I-6 for varying reasons.
"
" The 2bbl. 360 made less mileage than a small primaries
" 4bbl - and less power.