[Amc-list] Brief road trip...

Just last night got back from a 3-day (was gonna be 4-day) trip camping
to the northwest corner of Arizona (near Meadview), a burning-man-like
regional event. About 400 miles each way.

Took the newly-gasoline-converted Classic wagon, four people (two
large), 20 gallons of water, trailer, 10 x 16 PVC quonset hut, big tent,
and all the usual camping crap.

Man was it hot!! Car was very pingy, I need to re-curve the distributor,
too much advance, though I adjusted it on the road finally more or less
OK. Pinging increased with coolant temperature, but also air inlet temp
(read on). This is a '70 232 with cast iron intake with a Carter YF.

Averaged just under 45ph (that's door-to-door trip speed) including all
stops (there were (too) many) so not bad considering I never exceeded
60mph, partly due to the trailer, but mostly due to heat. I was taking
it VERY easy on the air-cooled Flash-O-Matic. I really gotta put a guage
on that thing so I don't have to guess.

I've got a two-row radiator, a big flexfan, but no shroud. Cooling is
adequate for desert driving. I've also got a big VintageAir A/C system
that we ran pretty much the entire time. Turned it off for the big
grades, which there were a few.

It was well over 100 on the way out (lucky us, a heat wave in LA, and
large-scale weather seems to rotate eastward, from So. Cal.). I just
kept it in D1 and drove according to temperature.

Got there OK, but the event wasn't to our liking; really fine people,
but not for us, but combined with 105+ temps during the day made it
unbearable. We left Sat AM.

The ride home was hot. By hot, I mean, the air at times was coolant-hot.
It was 115 in Needles CA (route I40, at the CA/AZ border). 115 in the
shade. It was so hot, we had to close the floor vents because it HURT
YOUR LEGS hot, no exaggeration.

The A/C worked great, but up the loooong steep grade west of Needles,
though only about 4000 feet altitude and I'm just guessing 5% grade, at
115 degrees, in an ancient Rambler with a full load, and an air-cooled
transmission, was a big nerve wracking.

Basically the way I handle those is run at the motor's sweet spot; 45
mph in second, or 28 mph in low, steady, steady, steady, varying with
heat and ping. The temperature gauge indicates the cooling systems "low
normal" and "high normal"; the two extremes of thermostat mostly closed
(it hunts around closed) and mostly open (it hunts around rated thermo
temp, about 190 - 200 degrees. I worked all that out with an external
thermometer long ago. A/C goes on when the temp is below high-normal.

All these shiny blacked out cars zooming by us up the grades; we must
have looked like Amish people in a buggy, in a dusty old Rambler in flat
paint with a trailer full of junk!

I'm sure newer cars have better default trans cooling systems, but I
know most of them were eating up transmission life.

On the one accurate fill up I did before the trip, I got 19.8mpg, but I
think that's high; for the whole trip itself it got 16.5mpg, not too
terrible under the circumstances. I think I can get 20 out of it
regularly, I just got the carb sort-of dialed in before I left. Timing
is wacked.

I hope I didn't cook the transmission. It was one of the hardest trips
I've ever made on it. Ran fine, no crazy leaks, no bad smells, rebuilt
in the last year. I'll get a tune up this summer.