Re: [Amc-list] Brief road trip...

Tom,

The factory A/C shrouds (at least the late 60's ones) are nothing
special. They're just a big hoop with four tabs for mounting bolts
(mount with the radiator bolts). They did get a 7 blade flex fan. I
would think it would be pretty easy to come up with a better shroud
design without much effort.

I also took a look at radiators in my parts book and six cylinder 1967
Rebels did not get a three core radiator with A/C. In 1968, the Rebels
did get a three core radiator with A/C.

Newer vehicles are generally better for engine/tranny cooling. I was in
that area last July (I think it only got to 110 heading into Vegas at
night) and the coolant temp gauge in my 07 Ram moved one needle width
closer to hot than normal (the only other time it did that was crossing
the Rockies on I-70 -- I also had to turn the overdrive off for part of
that [it's a 5 speed and having it locked out of 5th worked the rest of
the time]). I had the A/C going and was towing my wagon at the time. I
was pretty impressed since my 96 would run hotter towing around here
(not nearly as hot and no steep hills). Also, the tranny cooler on my
new truck is about half the size of the radiator on the Americans so
there is a bunch of cooling capacity there.

As far as timing goes, my 67 American with 199/auto (water cooled) likes
10 BTDC and my 68 with a 232/stick likes 5 BTDC for best power. Both
will ping like crazy if the timing is off. Did the 70 232 have EGR? If
so, hooking that back up will help with pinging but you need to put a
temperature controlled vacuum switch on it since the EGR valve opening
on a cold motor is bad for performance.

What rear gear do you have in your car? A fairly low rear end gear (mid
3's) will help when towing and not be too hateful on the highway.

Matt

On 6/22/2008 3:25 PM, Tom Jennings spouted this sage advice:

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com
1967 Rambler American wagon