Re: [Amc-list] Brief road trip...

Matt Haas wrote:

> The factory A/C shrouds (at least the late 60's ones) are nothing
> special. They're just a big hoop with four tabs for mounting bolts
> (mount with the radiator bolts). They did get a 7 blade flex fan. I
> would think it would be pretty easy to come up with a better shroud
> design without much effort.

Yeah, they're conveniently hanging on the wall here :-) They're a PITA
to install, so I plan on cutting them in half (top and bottom) and
simple tabs to refasten the loops.

The flex fan I have is pretty good, moves a crapload of air (I think
that's the technical term). But the plastic flex fan I put on the little
Rambler I like better; quieter, and a lot less lethal. Neither car revs
high so the steeper pitch is fine. I plan on doing a shroud AND plastic
fan and likely a spacer to reduce the gap.

> I also took a look at radiators in my parts book and six cylinder 1967
> Rebels did not get a three core radiator with A/C. In 1968, the Rebels
> did get a three core radiator with A/C.

On passenger cars like mine, yeah, two rows is fine. My radiator is old
(new in 1995) but the cooling system is in immaculate shape. THAT
matters most!

> Newer vehicles are generally better for engine/tranny cooling. I was in
> that area last July (I think it only got to 110 heading into Vegas at
> night) and the coolant temp gauge in my 07 Ram moved one needle width
> closer to hot than normal (the only other time it did that was crossing
> the Rockies on I-70 -- I also had to turn the overdrive off for part of
> that [it's a 5 speed and having it locked out of 5th worked the rest of
> the time]). I had the A/C going and was towing my wagon at the time.

Yeah, that's pretty good! The 60's cars weren't big on that sort of thing!

> As far as timing goes, my 67 American with 199/auto (water cooled) likes
> 10 BTDC and my 68 with a 232/stick likes 5 BTDC for best power. Both
> will ping like crazy if the timing is off. Did the 70 232 have EGR?

Nope no EGR, didn't have.

This motor's not been on gasoline since 1988, so I have to dial it all
in all over. I switched carbs only the weekend before! I think it's
about 4 - 5 btdc now. My real problems are high compression (9.5 or so)
and I screwed up the squish space, I think, when I built it. Clearly not
to seriously since it's run this way for 20 years, but it makes timing
difficult. I will remedy that this summer/fall.

> What rear gear do you have in your car? A fairly low rear end gear (mid
> 3's) will help when towing and not be too hateful on the highway.

BW auto, torque tube, 3.15 axle, 27" tires, 2300 rpm at 60mph, about
right I think.