Re: [Amc-list] Dang left-braking car, anyway

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008, Ray Mick wrote:

> I'm not talking about a slight pull this is a jerk you into the other
> lane if you did a hard stop and weren't ready for it. The adjusters
> hard. So much drag that I have to back that side off again to get the
> car to brake straight again.
> On Apr 23, 2008, at 7:00 AM, Frank Swygert wrote:

One thing often overlooked is backing plate wear. The shoes
contact the backing plates very carefully at three or four
points, depending on the design. Those points often get deep
grooves worn in them. The shoes then go through odd gyrations
on their way to meet up with the drum, often getting cocked in
their seats and moving possibly enough distance to yank on the
adjuster cable/rod.

You can just weld up the grooves and grind flat with an angle
grinder.  Some claim JB Weld epoxy works but I wonder if it's
strong enough with the shoes scraping at it.

Could be: wrong wheel cylinder pushrods or wheel cyl piston
shape.  Mismatched shoe metal stampings. The top shoe anchor
post moving around or bent.

When you take the drums off to adjust back, how's wear on the
shoe? Is it even side to side? One shoe (trailing (rear)) I
think) usually wears more anyways, but it should be even from
left side of the car to the right.

I wish one of us could see it. Sometimes simply another pair
of eyes helps see things.