Re: [Amc-list] Needed AMC American Front Brake Drums for 9" x 2" Brakest

Re: [Amc-list] Needed AMC American Front Brake Drums for 9" x 2" Brakest

Hi Tom,

Thank you very much for the help provided and the pointers to appropriate we
sites!

1. Just to make sure, the following part numbers are all correct for the
FRONT drums on a 1963 Rambler American with 9" X 2" brakes?

RAY 2501, 2501R, ACDELCO 18B512, NAPA UP6401106, UP6401217, TS4401105,
 TS4401238, UP6401218, UP6401238

2. Rock Auto only lists the 2501/2501R brake drum for the REAR and I need
the FRONT. Are they correct for the front?

3. The front brakes are supposed to be 2.5" brakes according to
<http://wps.com/AMC/AMC-brakes.html> , but what I found on the car were
badly gouged missmatched front drums and missmatched front hubs. I have no
idea if ANYTHING is original, but they all seem to be 2" brakes. ould I have
had 2" inch brakes from factory on the front of this 63 American?

4. The BD2502 have a concave center to which the front hub mounts and they
do seat all the way. The original drums have a convex center (with respect
to the shape of the drum) and that make up the 1/2 inch difference. The
BD2502's do not make contact with the backing plate, even though they are
1/2" deeper.

All the Best,
           Stefan

StefanGB@xxxxxxxxxxx