Re: [Amc-list] T14 - T96 OD - 5 Speed

> From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>> Subject: Re: [Amc-list] T14 OD -T96 OD - 5 speed> To: "AMC/Rambler owners, drivers and fans." <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> > -- Jim Boone <fljab@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:> > > I Still think a better answer is to fab the adapter plate for the late> > model Mustang 5 speed as found behind the V6 3.8 (with the ~7.87" input> > shaft), then install that - as long as you want a floor shift vs column> > shift. Still a project I wouldn't mind doing. After the first plate is> > figured out, they could be copied and be a great addition for the AMC> > early 6 crowd.> > I agree with you 100%. Mark used this trans, right? "Everybody" says it's > too weak, but there's often a bias towards the most-biggest-always, not > always for good reason. Appropriate sizing has many advantages!>

Mark, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he used a regular V8 T5 non-WC with the ~7.2" input shaft; the one I'm talking about was put behind the V6 Mustangs (don't know of anything else) and has a 7.87" input shaft which would give room for a ~ 3/4" adapter plate to be fabbed up behind the early six bellhousing.  You would use the  AMC bell, pressure plate, throwout bearing and linkage, and the Mustang clutch disc; Would need to find an application that is 9".  I went to Ebay today, and there were three of these transmissions for bid, from $250, to $500; one as a complete kit - with pedals, driveshaft, bh, clutch linkages, etc.  Wouldn't need all of it for sure, but would need bits.

> > > Picture a '65 American, turbo'd 196, adapted 5 speed, upgraded rear -> > either the fairly rare American AMC 20, or something else in the medium> > duty size narrowed for that application and ~3.30-3.54 ratio range.> > Would be fun and maybe affordable to drive in this new era of $3+/gallon> > gas.> > I think you could do that with the common-as-dirt non-big-nut AMC15 axle. > They've got to be good for non-hole-shot 200hp. I'd pick final ratio & > tires with the 195.6 OHV for 2200rpm at 60mph, which so far has proved to > be in the middle of the motor's sweet spot.>
You're probably right, and I have one of those laying around, albeit in 2.79 ratio, but, I was thinking a 8.8 Mustang rear is also common as dirt, has much improved strength esp. in this application, could probably be found with an appropriate ratio and limited slip, and would only need to be narrowed to American specs.  Some even have rear discs as well.

> I've never owned or even driven a turbo car, but with this oversquare thing > I would think you'd want boost at really low speeds and bypassed early. Can > a turbo be made to do that? Most I've read seems they wanna rev it to make > traditional big HP. What if you boosted it for very modest gains at 1200 - > 3200 rpm? Only?> I believe you could use a smaller turbo, such as one that was used on 2.2L applications.  Tons of original used ones around.  It would spin up faster in this 3L engine, use a wastegate to keep it at proper boost (8 lbs max?).  While the 196 has only 4 main bearings, they are big ones and should support that amount of boost reasonably well.  Hope so, because engine parts for those engines are getting scarce...

Jim Boone
Mims, FL