Re: [Amc-list] T14 - T96 OD - 5 Speed

" From: Jim Boone <fljab@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" > From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
" >
" > -- Jim Boone <fljab@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
" >
" > > I Still think a better answer is to fab the adapter plate for the late
" > > model Mustang 5 speed as found behind the V6 3.8 (with the ~7.87" input
" > > []
" >
" > I agree with you 100%. Mark used this trans, right? "Everybody" says it's
"
" Mark, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he used a regular V8 T5
" non-WC with the ~7.2" input shaft;

sounds right to me.

" the one I'm talking about was put
" behind the V6 Mustangs (don't know of anything else)

iirc v8 stangs of at least a few of those years had a like tranny,
but with higher torque rating and higher o/d gear.  the v6 one oughta
be more common, less desirable [for most], and more affordable.

" and has a 7.87"
" input shaft which would give room for a ~ 3/4" adapter plate to be
" fabbed up behind the early six bellhousing.  You would use the AMC bell,
" pressure plate, throwout bearing and linkage, and the Mustang clutch
" disc; Would need to find an application that is 9".

easy!  check for perfection rcf895 or equiv; '75-9 6 cyl 9 1/8" *
1 1/16" * 10 spline that goes with the same ca1676 b&b pp as the 196
used as far back as 1950!  there's also a 9 1/8" raised diaphragm pp,
rcf1881, probably a straight swap.  calls for a different to brg
though.  also mentions '4sp tremec' which is a dead-easy swap but not
afaik stock.

" I went to Ebay
" today, and there were three of these transmissions for bid, from $250,
" to $500; one as a complete kit - with pedals, driveshaft, bh, clutch
" linkages, etc.  Wouldn't need all of it for sure, but would need bits.
"
" >
" > > Picture a '65 American, turbo'd 196, adapted 5 speed, upgraded rear -
" > > either the fairly rare American AMC 20, or something else in the medium
" > > duty size narrowed for that application and ~3.30-3.54 ratio range.
" > > Would be fun and maybe affordable to drive in this new era of $3+/gallon
" > > gas.
" >
" > I think you could do that with the common-as-dirt non-big-nut AMC15 axle.
" > They've got to be good for non-hole-shot 200hp.

i -think- you could convert a big-nut amc15 to a non-big-nut with an
r&p swap, since the difference is afaik only the length and u-joint
attachment method of the pinion.

" > I'd pick final ratio &
" > tires with the 195.6 OHV for 2200rpm at 60mph, which so far has proved to
" > be in the middle of the motor's sweet spot.
" >
" You're probably right, and I have one of those laying around, albeit in
" 2.79 ratio, but, I was thinking a 8.8 Mustang rear is also common as
" dirt, has much improved strength esp. in this application, could
" probably be found with an appropriate ratio and limited slip, and would
" only need to be narrowed to American specs.  Some even have rear discs
" as well.

there's the dart 8.25", intermediate in strength but enough for 318s,
and already the right width for '64-9 americans.  several posis
available, a variety of gears and disk kits incl. stock zj, and easy
to upgrade from 27 to modern 29-spline axles.

" > I believe you could use a smaller turbo, such as one that was used
" > on 2.2L applications.

this is what i'd do, or perhaps even smaller.

" > Tons of original used ones around.  It would
" > spin up faster in this 3L engine, use a wastegate to keep it at
" > proper boost (8 lbs max?).

reasonable point to start with...  should also be easy to find a boost
advance/retard can for the delco dist.

wonder if you could hack a 1bbl tbi to put the butterfly downstream of
the turbo but the injector upstream?  this would be the best of
draw-through and blow-through combined.

" > While the 196 has only 4 main bearings,
" > they are big ones and should support that amount of boost reasonably
" > well.  Hope so, because engine parts for those engines are getting
" > scarce...

the crank is also a vy strong steel forging.  and boost at moderate
rpm isn't more stressful than top-end revs.