Re: [Amc-list] T96... T14... related?

" From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
"
" []
"
" So I have a T14 and T96 side by side in my newly organized iron pile. I
" knew they looked similar, but...
"
" The T14 is a drop-in replacement for the T96 in every way, though I didn't
" get too careful about measuring overall length. Motor end is identical. The
" shift levers are further apart but in the same (common) position. The
" shifter would almost bolt up.

that's what i found.  my t14 is ~2" shorter than my t96.

" But more interestingly -- the BW OD unit bolt pattern from the T96 exactly
" matches the T14's rear!

you're speaking of the extension case/adapter?

but what about length?  the t96 main case is ~7" where the t14's is
~8.25".  i recall hearing many years ago that the t14-o/d was exactly
the same length as the t96 overall.  using the must-be-longer t96
adapter on the longer t14 case sounds like it could have problems.

" I know this is a long shot, but the payoff would be great -- are the output
" shafts of these two transmissions similar? I don't have a factory parts
" catalog that includes a T14...

i don't think the t14 mainshaft has anything in common with the t96;
probably not even much with the t86/t90, a much closer relative.

i would still like to know how much it would cost to have the t14-o/d
mainshaft and adapter duplicated, in perhaps dozen quantity.  i think
if you could get the numbers up enough to justify cnc - and it might
not be that many - the per-unit would be pretty reasonable.

<big dream> a t14 twinstick gearset...