Re: [Amc-list] T96... T14... related?

> " But more interestingly -- the BW OD unit bolt pattern from the T96
> exactly  " matches the T14's rear!
>
> you're speaking of the extension case/adapter?

Yes, the rear of the T14 gearbox proper, the bolt pattern and apparent
mainshaft output location, appears to be identical to the T96.

> but what about length?  the t96 main case is ~7" where the t14's is
> ~8.25".  i recall hearing many years ago that the t14-o/d was exactly
> the same length as the t96 overall.  using the must-be-longer t96
> adapter on the longer t14 case sounds like it could have problems.

Yes, a T14-plus-hypothetical-OD-from-T96 would be longer, but in the scheme
of things a new driveshaft seems less of a problem. More important is that
the overall profile of the T14-plus-hypothetical-OD-from-T96 vs. T96+OD is
compatible (shifter, speedo cable location, humps bumps and protuberances).

> " I know this is a long shot, but the payoff would be great -- are the
> output  " shafts of these two transmissions similar? I don't have a
> factory parts  " catalog that includes a T14...
>
> i don't think the t14 mainshaft has anything in common with the t96;
> probably not even much with the t86/t90, a much closer relative.

Would be nice to see, just to settle it!

> i would still like to know how much it would cost to have the t14-o/d
> mainshaft and adapter duplicated, in perhaps dozen quantity.

I really think the "T96" OD adapter might fit, or could be modified. The
shaft is the big deal. It's not hard to imagine that the inside of the OD
sun assembly is the same for all trans'.