[Amc-list] Re; Pacer and Rotary, now basic miss-information.

[Amc-list] Re; Pacer and Rotary, now basic miss-information.

Armand,
SNIP
I over heard another guy state that Studebaker was installing Chevy engines
in their cars in the early 60s before they closed shop.
Will this one never die??  I know the Avanti in its continued form in later
years had a GM powerplant, but correct me if I'm wrong, Studebaker used AMC
engines right??? The displacement was just the same as the Chevy 327 that's
all.
SNIP

This one will never die 'cause it is true. The last US built Studebaker was
1964 at which point production shifted to Canada for the '65 and '66
production years. Studebaker sold their South Bend related property et-al
which included the rights to the Avanti and the Engine manufacturing leaving
Avanti independently owned and no engine manufacturing capability. I do not
know what form of politics was involved with dealing with GM to install
Chevy engines in Canada if any, however Chevy was supplying engines for a
number of applications including European Hy-breds, Checker Cab, Chaparral
and Scarab so to me it seems as if it was a straight forward business type
deal of convenience but who knows. So the last 2 years of Studebaker
production which was all Canadian produced also used GM, Chevy engines in
the process. Avanti on the other hand now that it was independently owned
cut it's own deal and also used Chevy engines. The specifics, if in some way
special I am not aware of, but rumor it is not. Studebaker finished out
Chevy powered, which makes a nice bolt together hot rod in today's world if
you want to deal with it.  What is of interest though in many ways as the
Studebaker Car Company has a history of many years of supplying
transportation to Americans and in the post war years was one of the first
to offer a modern overhead valve V8 in 1950 and were proceeded by only
Oldsmobile and Cadillac.  Their overhead valve I-6 was accomplished by
designing an overhead valve head to be used on their Flat Head I6, much in
the same manner as done by AMC off and on in the '50's and 60's. I don't
know about the town you lived in, but in the town I lived in if there was a
large cloud of blue smoke going down the road it was usually proceeded by a
6 cylinder Studebaker.  The Studebaker V8 was never changed too greatly and
was offered in 3 different sizes that I am aware of and in the final years
with an R designation indicating performance levels but one was just under
300 cubic inches the other two just over and one of those was blown by a
Paxton / McCulloch supercharger.

John