[Amc-list] Pacer to Saab

and even more off topic!

>> saab's very first cars were dkw powered.

>Right, they had two-stroke engines. And the infamous Wartburg (as
>well as the Trabant) used engines very similar to DKW designs until
>the late 1980s.

The first Saab's are really kind of interesting to look at, and
see the year to year developments.  For example, the first two
stroke, two cylinder engines, had no water pump!  The rad was
mounted high, above and behind the engine.  The water heated,
rose through the rad, cooled, and returned from the top rad
tank to the bottom of the engine.  The rad was behind the engine,
so it could be used as a heater core as well.  Part of the rad's
hot air was ducted into the car's interiour.  I'm guessing that
breathing hot air from inside the engine bay was one the early
Saab's less appealing features!

There's a guy just south of here (Ottawa, Canada) who has some
thing like 50 Saab's in his collection.  Most running, though
not all restored, it's really an education to look at the
evolution!

We now return you to more AMC related topics...

Cheers,
Dave