[Amc-list] noisy after rebuild

This relates to some discussions recently. This is on a 66 232 in a Classic

I just did a rering job along with a newly ground crank. I didn't change the cam bearings, or cam. I did replace the lifters because I forgot about them the first time I turned the engine over (physically) without the head on. About half of them fell out and landed in the grimmy pan I had under the engine stand.

It is all together and running now, but noisy. I have 60 psi oil pressure at startup, and 45-50 when its warm. When I start it after letting it sit overnight, I get very loud lifter/valvetrain type noises for about 3 seconds, and then it quiets down. It is almost as loud as a bearing type knock, but sounds like a valvetrain type sound. After that, it sounds like a small Kabota deisel tractor. Kinda groully ticking. Oh yeah, I did run the engine for 15 minutes to try to match the lifters to the cam.

Thats what I have....so far what I have done...
I removed the valve cover to listen and see if anything was wrong. The rockers seemed a little dry so I removed the bolt where the oil comes in, and found I had a partial clog. I cleaned that location out, along with all the other bolt locations, in order, down the shaft to make sure there wasn't another clog down the line. I did this while it was running so the oil would push out whatever I got loose. When I was done, there was plenty of oil up top, and the consistent noise had reduced some, but not even close to what it should be.

Now I notice that the marks I put on the pushrods for reassembly are spinning. All except for 3 of them at various unrelated locations. 2 are spinning like tops (1 rev per second), and the rest are turning about 1 rev per 4-5 seconds. Concerning the 3 that arn't turning. If I turn one (any) by hand about 90 degrees, it will rotate around at the 4-5 second pace until it gets to its favorite spot and stop again.

My deduction.... I think the loud startup noise is from the old worn cam bearings allowing the oil to drain down overnight. The lifters drain and take a few seconds to pump up again. The quiter constant clacking/ticking is from the new lifters not conforming to the old cam, not rotating, and probably wearing down the cam lobe the more I run it.

The recent discussion content?... I broke it in with 15W40 rotela, and had assembly lube on the cam. (new lifters, old cam)

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I just put this thing back together and am not looking forward to taking it apart again.

I know this is long, but I wanted to get all the information I could out there.

Thanks
Andy