Re: [Amc-list] noisy after rebuild

Andy,

With 60 PSI cold oil pressure, you do not have bearing problems and
tearing the engine down to inspect it is a waste of time and money. When
hot, the oil pressure should drop down to about 12-15 PSI. The lifters
making noise during start up for a few seconds is normal (if you have
your owner's manual, it's mentioned in there). My 68 American does that
every time after it sites over night and the 67 only does it every now
and then (seems more frequent with the Fram filter that's on it now but
that's what I get for not doing the oil change myself).

You said that there was no (or very little) oil getting to the rockers.
Your noise is a chewed up rocker shaft and rockers (this is likely why
your push rods don't rotate like they should). You can either buy a
rebuilt assembly (new shaft and reconditioned rockers) or a new shaft
and individual rockers. Lots of places carry these parts and prices vary
wildly so shop around. You should also replace the push rods since the
rocker end is likely chewed up on them as well. Also, the shaft rocker
setup AMC used is very high friction and they wear out quickly. You can
hear the rockers on my 67 American with the hood open and that shaft
only has 44,000 miles on it.

You mentioned taking the rocker shaft bolts out with the engine running.
There's a good chance you bent the shaft doing that but since it's bad
anyway, it doesn't hurt anything.

Unless you live in a really hot climate, 15w40 is too thick of an oil.
It will not hurt anything other than your gas mileage. I run full
synthetic 10w30 in both of my Americans.

Also, the head bolt modification isn't needed if you keep up on oil
changes. My 68 has it and the 67 doesn't and I don't think there's any
noticeable difference in the oil volume. Make sure if you do that mod,
that you round the machined part of the bolt down as specified in the
page Frank S. pointed out or the head bolt may break.

Finally, as long as you have good oil pressure and the valves are
getting oil, you are not going to hurt the engine running it with worn
out rockers.

Matt

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH