Re: [Amc-list] noisy after rebuild

I only have experience with AMC V-8s and not the 6 clinders but cam and lifters are eseentially the same no matter what engine they go in. If your old cam and lifters had substantial wear on them, no matter what you do with the new lifters on the old cam you will not get rid of the noise unless you also replace the cam as well.  My rule of thumb has always been to replace both if one or the other needs to be replaced.

What about the old lifters, do you still have them?  If so you may want to soak them in solvent to clean them, then drop them in a bucket of oil and reinstall to see if the noise goes away, hopefully the new lifters have not changed the old cam's profile enough for it to be an issue.

I am not sure how much work it would be to swap lifters on the old AMC 6 but I seem to recall side covers on the block covering the lifters on older 6 cylinders that owned in years past so hopefully an older AMC six won't be that much of a pain to swap out the lifters.

Regards,
Dan Curtis