Re: [Amc-list] Syn Lubes, a little more to it,,

On Thursday 09 August 2007 19:33:32 Bruce Hevner wrote:

> BY FAR the biggest problem I see on engine failures are STUCK OIL RINGS!!
> Yes there are other things that cause engine failures, sludge being one of
> them. But what I see happening is the oil rings stick causing excessive
> oil consumption which unless carefully monitored causes the engine to be
> run low on oil and BINGO,, bearing failure.
>  That where Syn lubes come in. I have NEVER seen an engine taken apart
> that had been using Syn lube have either stuck rings OR ANY sludge! They
> are remarkably clean and have twice the mileage on them that Dyno oil
> motors have. That alone should make Syn lube worth the money.

That's what I wanted to hear -- actual 'after' hard data or observations.
Nothing beats facts you can stub your toe on!

> Folks that say Syn lube is too expensive need to do the math. It's NOT.

Besides your math, most of us are driving very old cars that are valuable to
us, and personally I want to minimize wear and increase longevity. Cost is
secondary, especially when you're talking about peanuts -- $100 "extra" over
100K miles is peanuts.

> There is another thought that has been
> around for years, thicker oil protects better. MOST engine wear is at
> STARTUP, THAT'S where thick oil hurts you. Thinner oil has MUCH better
> pump ability when cold so those seconds between when your engine is
> started with NO oil pressure, and when the oil hits the moving parts is
> MUCH less with thinner oil. Thinner better lubricating oil = MORE
> HORSEPOWER. That's why the race car guys use it. I have SEEN it on the
> dyno. Take dyno oil out and add syn lube (of the SAME weight),,, 8 HP
> increase!!

I also think many people confuse oil PRESSURE with oil VOLUME.

For our older engines with big clearances, what's the lowest viscosity you'd
recommend running on the street?

> So for ME,, it's Mobil1 10-30 changed at 7500-9000 (anywhere in there is
> OK).

Wow, that's long!

Bruce, do have a guess as to how many miles you get before the oil is visibly
colored dark? I know it's a sloppy indicator of oil state, I'm just curious.