Re: [Amc-list] Syn Lubes, a little more to it,,

Re: [Amc-list] Syn Lubes, a little more to it,,

<snip>
>> So for ME,, it's Mobil1 10-30 changed at 7500-9000 (anywhere in there is
>> OK).
>
> Wow, that's long!
>
> Bruce, do have a guess as to how many miles you get before the oil is visibly
> colored dark? I know it's a sloppy indicator of oil state, I'm just curious.
</snip>

Tom,

 From what I've observed on my own cars, color depends as much on the
motor as anything else. My 68 American is the only AMC I've had that
I've needed to change the oil in more than once per year and the oil
looks like new when I change it. I had a 93 Cavalier (it had a 4 banger)
and the oil was as dark as ink when the oil was changed. The 83 Cavalier
(also a 4 banger) it replaced got honey brown and my 96 Ram was usually
honey brown (I changed oil when it got darker than that which was around
10,000 miles). When Mobil came out with their 15,000 mile oil
recommendation, I did that once on my 96 Ram and I didn't like how dark
it got. I just took a peek at my 2007 Ram and it's just slightly darker
than new but I honestly haven't paid much attention to color since the
dealer's been doing oil changes on it (free oil changes for a couple
years was one of the perks for buying it from the dealer I used).

Matt
--
mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH