Re: [Amc-list] Sunday drives

<snip>
> like i said earlier it runs and the clutch seems to work. so we just need to
> be working on the stopping. i haven't looked closely at the break lines but
> it is safe to say it will need at least new lines, rebuild on the master
> cylinder and a strong look at the drums and shoes. Basicly it wouldn't hurt
> to look in to the conversion to disc breakes.
</snip>

Adam,

Brake prices depend upon what you have. If you have Wagner drums (self
adjusters have rods), parts are more expensive and harder to find then
Bendix (self adjusters have cables) drums. The worst to find parts for
are the Wagner drums used on the back of factory disc brake cars from
the mid 60's. Cost will also depend a lot on condition of the drums. If
they need replaced, they run anywhere from $50 to $150 depending on what
you have. You can likely get shoes, wheel cylinders, and hardware for
$250 or so for all four wheels.

I took a look at Advance's web site and they say you have 9" Wagner
drums all around (they also have a bunch of Bendix parts mixed in which
will not work). Those are more difficult to find parts for. Take a look
at http://www.mattsoldcars.com/1967american/brakeordeal.shtml for some
parts sources. One place I didn't put on that page is Kennedy American.
I bought self-adjuster kits from them.

Matt
--
mhaas@xxxxxxx