[Amc-list] Dynasour, Diesel, Synthetic or Urban Legend?

[Amc-list] Dynasour, Diesel, Synthetic or Urban Legend?

SNIP
I dunno about this oil stuff... is this one of those things like the
lack of
" lead causing excessive valve wear? I know there's actual chemistry
involved
" with the lube business but I've never heard of any of our engines
dying from
" oil related issues.
SNIP
I want to try 0w-30 in it with EOS or STP 4cyl additive
SNIP
(you have the 24V DOHC with variable induction, right?),
this is the infamous "sludge motor" that got such a nasty
self-destruction
reputation a few years ago
SNIP

I dunno on this one, but even after all the reading I am with Tom on
this
one at this time. I  have read all of the ?Factory? recommendations of
0 to light weight oil recommendations along with the factory?s
insistence
that a 5000 # truck (passed off as some form of a sports vehicle) and
the concern that big brother will jump on them with both feet if ?café
fuel economy? does not get above some arbitrary high number enhanced
by less friction or internal resistance enhanced  by light weight oil.
This includes the dealers really getting pissy about voiding warrantees
if they catch you not using 0-lightweight oil. Something I ignored when
I found out the dealer wanted $300 to change the oil and do a 30,000
mile check up 8 months after I bought my last new car and would not
put in 20-50 per my request at the time.
I have lived in high heat area?s for over 20 years now, have a stable of

cars (all paid for) that I also am the only mechanic on (which is how I
can afford to have them) and have driven over 30,000 miles a year on
my primary driver a good portion of that time all of which ran 20-W-50
motor oil exclusively from the time of purchase or rebuilt which ever
came first and have never had an oil related problem and do not consider
that too heavy.
However if I were to put in 5-W-whatever I frankly would expect some
kind of wear out problem once the temperature outside got over the
freezing level.
I am also a member of the Saturn List and there is constant chatter
of excessive oil consumption on what is now the early Saturns one
of which I have been maintaining for the last 40,000 miles and it
now has 90,000 miles on it with absolutely no oil consumption problem.
I might be old school and just pig headed enough to think that light
weight engine oil and engine wear go hand in hand and that is what
I am seeing or at least having lived through the supposed no lead
valve wear debacle that is what I think I see. ?Specially when I start
reading that people believe that a 5 ?something oil is appropriate for
an engine drive hard during the summer. I come from the snow
belt in upstate N.Y. My engines would last about 100,000 miles and get
about 800-900 miles a qt. at that point in time. That would be with
using 5 W 20 during the winter and 10-W-30 during the summer.
Nothing I have uses oil between oil changes now except the Donohue
 with bad valve oil seals that I should have changed when I put
 the open chamber heads on it.
My lowest milage engine that has not be rebuilt is 75,000 miles on
the 1980 AMX. My rebuilt engines have at least 30,000 on them at
the present and I have 5 cars licensed to drive. I sold my 270,000
mile car last year! All the non-rebuilt engines are around 120,000
miles or so.
The ?infamous? sludge engine might have had a real problem with
an oil screen being too small, I do not know that for sure but I would
never have believed that Chrysler would have problems with their
automatics until I bought my T & C and discovered that they have
managed to apply years of technological leader ship in transmission
design to generate a real piece of junk apparently using all of the
ideas that did not work or something equally inane!
But some how to me the problem is basic. The oil is too light, the
engines are being worn out.
One mans opinion.
John.