Re: [Amc-list] Thomas Garner, 64 Classic

Re: [Amc-list] Thomas Garner, 64 Classic

" From: "Thomas Garner" <Tgarner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
"  All but one think I should keep the 232, which, if I can get the
" power from it I should get, then I'll do that. I'm trying to keep it
" as original as possible. Doesn't mean I wouldn't get rid of the points
" though, I just don't know how.

hei distributor from late-'70s chevy inline!  use the gear from your
present delco dist and it drops in.  mind boggling but true - i did it
on my '68 199.  you can also open your plug gaps to about .050"

the pertronix points replacement is easier but not really cheaper, and
you can't get replacements anywhere like you can for the hei.

"  When I first got it, carb was adjusted so hi, it gave me whiplash
" when I put it in gear. It seemed to shift hard but solid. Fixed that
" with the little cable from tranny to carb. Kind of like a kick down
" cable, but I don't think it's the same. If I start in 1st gear, it
" shifts hard to 2nd then it winds up higher than I expect it to and
" then shifts to 3rd, until it warms up, then it tends to shift ok from
" 2nd to 3rd. 1st to 2nd ALWAYS shifts hard. (I normally just start off
" in D2)

this sounds like bad adjustment, and i think that 'little cable' you
messed with did it.  you should've been able to set idle speeds on the
carb directly.

do you have a factory service manual for the car?  if not, get one -
you really need to know what they have to tell.

btw this hard shifting will eat your tranny up in short order.