Re: [Amc-list] overdrive again

Doug Dornbos wrote: "I'm not hearing great things about the AW4"

adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker) wrote:
we haven't been listening in the same places...  over amongst the
jeep crowd it has a much better rep than the 42le.  its high
efficiency converter doesn't give you the torque multiplication the
mopar tranny does, but that's about the biggest negative i've been
able to find.

Andrew

thanks for your comments. I have no personal experience with this trans
but here's a quote from Novak Adapters:
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/aw4.htm

"The AW4 is a light to medium-duty transmission. Ours, our callers' and
customers' experiences with the AW4 are less than stellar. They have a
tendency to generate excessive amounts of heat, and are known for
unnecessarily consuming more engine power than some other automatics.

Because of this transmission's service record behind even stock Jeep
powerplants, we do not offer any conversion to V6 or V8 power. The
customer's efforts and funds are best spent converting to a stronger and
more refined transmission during the engine upgrade."

Can you steer me to some positive commentary on it? I'd appreciate that
really since this would be a great option for me if I could have some
faith in it.

Thanks again
Doug