Re: [Amc-list] overdrive again

I think things may be mixed up a bit.

Re: Gear Vendors unit. I would score a 4x4 version 727 or 999 (beefed up)
and run the 3DFS732A setup. I was just talking to tech support there, and
will get back info soon to ensure it's as I read on the website. (just
checked!) It just bolts on in place instead of a tcase (only has 2wd!) and
uses a slipyoke output. That makes it the cost of a Jeep 727 or 9xx series
4x4 trans with 23 spline output and "adapter sleeve" (The Jeep one uses the
same mount as AMC and Dodge cars. The Dodge 4x4 sleeve has a tal mount that
would drag on the ground in many car applications), plus $2595 for the Gear
Vendor unit. The unit is 14 1/2" long and the adapter sleeve (from the back
of the 904 case to the tcase round flange) is 6 1/2" long for a total of
21". There are 2 different 727 and 9xx 2wd lengths for the output shaft.
   It takes a 32 spline slipyoke (Chev) for the driveshaft with a 1350
Ujoint. The speedo gear plug from the 2wd or 4x4 should fit into the back of
the O/D unit for correct speedo reading.

42LE should read 42RE unless they designate 2 and 4 wheel drive. AFAICT,
it's a POS trans that is weak (too weak for most to make it to 100,000 miles
in a Grand Cherokee with 4.0l) but may work in lighter non-hot rod car
applications.

700R4 has 1 con. It's a GM product! <Evil Grin>

AW4 has received pretty much nothing but raves from most people. Even
treated poorly and abused, they come back for more with the majority making
it past 200,000 miles along with the 4.0L in front of it. Aside from mods to
hook it to a carb and a controller (you can use just the stock controller
and wire it in with the parts Jeep's harness) you can run it quite easily.
   I'm taking pics of my swap as I go. At least 1 person is running the AW4
with a billet converter behind a beefed 401 and it's staying alive. (I'm
waiting to hear back from him)

Jim Blair, Kirkland, WA '87 Comanche, '83 Jeep J10, '84 Jeep J10, '73 J4000
(RIP)<br>