[Amc-list] Trannies - con't

Doug Dornbos wrote: "I'm not hearing great things about the AW4"

adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker) wrote:
we haven't been listening in the same places...  over amongst the
jeep crowd it has a much better rep than the 42le.  its high
efficiency converter doesn't give you the torque multiplication the
mopar tranny does, but that's about the biggest negative i've been
able to find.

Andrew

thanks for your comments. I have no personal experience with this trans
but here's a quote from Novak Adapters:
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/aw4.htm

"The AW4 is a light to medium-duty transmission. Ours, our callers' and
customers' experiences with the AW4 are less than stellar. They have a
tendency to generate excessive amounts of heat, and are known for
unnecessarily consuming more engine power than some other automatics.

Because of this transmission's service record behind even stock Jeep
powerplants, we do not offer any conversion to V6 or V8 power. The
customer's efforts and funds are best spent converting to a stronger and
more refined transmission during the engine upgrade."

Can you steer me to some positive commentary on it? I'd appreciate that
really since this would be a great option for me if I could have some
faith in it.

Thanks again
Doug

===.===

not Andrew,Doug but... wtf -

I missed the engine you're using in the ride - AMC V8 ?

Novak is listing ALL the problems you encounter with the HD 700R / TH400 / A-727
transmissions, as THEY generate lots of Heat and Eat HP/Tq,  and tossing them at the AW4.

"The customer's efforts and funds are best spent converting to a stronger and
more refined transmission during the engine upgrade."

Reads like a cheap Cigar Ad ... I suppose a 454cu.in. on Methanol
makes an interesting Test for an Aisin trans. - but the Supra Twin Turbo
freaks run Aisin Automatics pushing stupid power numbers -
damn near same trans and they're always talking about getting the trans.
upgraded later...later someday.... from stock.

www.naxja.org is The cherokee/AW4 site - the place to read first hand AW4 owner posts is WWW.NAXJA.ORG.

scan thru the topics on the Forum - see how many Transmission Failure
posts you see - when you find one, check the mileage when the Trans.
toasted out -

Automatic trannies fail in general from Heat Soaking - lack of sufficiently
sized cooler - unless you're running an "Insane Engine" -
put as big a cooler you can find or make and thermostatic bypass
on a healthy AW4 - and forget it.

My Opinion on Novaks' Technical brief above is simply - of his self interest:

The 700R4 eats HP/Tq - read Gran National Forum Posts from Buick Turbo GN owners - they run built 200R trannies not 700R4's.

If you do choose a GM trans - a built 200R will run around 1,200.00 + core -
only one shop I would use - as recommended by most all GN owners/racers since
it requires some special bits - that Novak ain't got - it's here in New York.

Novaks cash flow is based upon what once was a two pony race:

Mopar or GM trans. swaps to Jeepers bolting in a V8.

The 4.0/AW4 bit a large chunk out of both their hides since
they perform well - negating a V8 swap - so he'll talk trash
to make an Adapter sale.

If you were going with a 'Blown' V8 in a rock crawler and wanted
an Automatic - I guess..... try a TH400 or max'd A-727,
I believe a 360 would be handled well by an AW4 - so do some builders
on NAXJA .

I'd ask questions on the www.stroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -

I know one member has had Aisin trannies - AW4 / Lexus Toyota V8 Aisin
apart - swapped parts - built convertors - et al and would be able
to answer your 'will it last' questions specifically.

Then there is:

www.*import**performance*trans.com

These are the Premier Aisin or MoPar trans. builders - this is where my
little LS_430 6spd. toaster gets built - down the street in South Wayne,New Jersey.

By selecting the 'Toyota' icon on the Home Page:

    * Valve body is custom calibrated to provide the ultimate in clutch
      application power and clamping force (The modifications performed
      by us are a proprietary design and are unavailable elsewhere)
    *

    * Virtually indestructible Raybestos Blue Plates are installed in
      all shifting clutches
    *

    * *NEW FEATURE* We have now developed the industry's only 6 friction
      disk C-2 clutch pack for a 50% increase in thrid gear holding
      capacity.
    *

    * New one way clutches (sprags) are installed in all locations
    *

    * Planetary splines are heat treated to prevent stripping
    *

    * Metalax treatment is applied to input shaft to eliminate stress
      related failure
    *

    * Sun shell is heat treated to prevent spline stripping
    *

    * New design high flow solenoid assemblies are installed
    *

    * Lube system is redesigned to provide increased flow and cooler
      operation
    *

    * Performance pressure regulator boost valve is installed to prevent
      sluggish line pressure rise and to increase clutch holding ability.

    *NOTE:* This unit is the strongest configuration that can be
    achieved with this Toyota transmission. However, if you are running
    much faster than 9.99 we recommend the installation of a domestic
    three speed or Powerglide transmission. These units also enable you
    to enjoy the many benefits of a Trans Brake and 8", 9", or 10"
    torque converter. See our specialty RWD section or call us for details.

A340 (86-92), 93-up 30-40LE, A340E, A340F, A340E, Jeep AW4: *$2875*

Plan on running faster than 'High 9s' ?

They have a 'Forum' - ask 'John' any question 'n he'll answer within 24hrs:

http://www.importperformancetrans.com/forums/

just my .02

--

    =Bt=