Re: [Amc-list] overdrive again

Doug, the AW4 is an outstanding transmission! I'd stick one behind a
STOCK 360 in a heartbeat, especially for a daily driver. A built 360
would probably be a bit much for it. I run a 250 hp 4.6L stroker behind
a high mileage AW4 (just over 100K on it when I bought it) with no
problems. That's 250 NET hp (72 and later rating). Would be around 325
GROSS hp (compared to pre 72 engines), and about 280 lb/ft torque (NET
-- 350 or so GROSS). I've been running that trans for five years with no
problems in my 63 Classic wagon. The trans should be fine behind even a
hot (but easily streetable) 304 with no problems at all, or a factory
360/4V engine if driven reasonably (street cruiser).  The trans will
bolt right up. If you want manual control of shifting only you can build
a controller for under $20. Might be a good option for testing the
trans, then install the more expensive controller and/or computer later.

I don't think I'd drive it real hard behind a 360/4V that's anything
more than a stock cruiser. A stock 360/4V doesn't put out much more
torque or hp than a good stroker six (some of the guys run 275-300 NET
hp strokers in front of AW4s in Cherokees), but it will build up power a
bit quicker and "hit" the trans a bit harder if you drive it hard.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"