Re: [Amc-list] brake drums

BTW, wheel studs are one time use. You *HAVE TO* replace them once they
are pressed out. Speaking of crimped wheel studs, you'll probably have
to grind the crimped part off. There is a special cutter for that job
but since the drums are bad, you could go at it with anything as long as
the flange isn't damaged. Also, there's a good chance they will be
difficult to pound out. Make sure you support the flange under the stud
before you go beating on them. When you put them in, you need to make
sure that the hub does not touch the work surface or the drum will not
be seated properly. An arbor press goes a long way to making this job easy.

Matt

Tom Jennings wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-06-16 at 17:44 -0400, Jay wrote:
>> I got the drums  from NAPA today and they are REAR drums (no place for wheel
>> bearings). So the rear drums are 640-1074 that look like they will be a good
>> replacement even though they are  2.5 inches wide. They will overhang the
>> backing plate but I don't think that will be a problem. More later.
>
> You probably have to remove the drum from the hub. It's not obvious that
> it comes apart, but it does. I think it's in the TSM somewhere, but
> basically you can put a junk lugnut on each lug and drive the lugs
> inward, they'll fall out. Then some whacks remove the hub. Get new lugs
> from NAPA (cheap).
>
> Next time around the drum wil come off; factory drums are crimped around
> the lugs, not really necessary though.

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com