Re: [Amc-list] brake drums

Thanks for the info Matt. I just never figured that that is the way to
change out brake drums these days. I will get around to doing them as soon
as I get my new rear drums from Rockauto this week and replace the other
rear axle bearing. I found out that someone in the past had not tightened
the rear hub down to 250 ft/lbs and so the hub was NOT onthe axles shaft all
the way and therefore it was "wobbly". it wasn't a bent hub or axle after
all. When I tightened the hub down last week, I tightened it to 100 ft/lbs
with my  torquewrench, then I used a borrowed torquewrench to tighten it the
other 100 ft/lbs left. The last few pushes on the wrench handle forced the
hub on all the way and I heard it bottom out and the wrench told me I had
reached the 250 ft/lb limit.  Long story, but that is how it went.  Now to
do the RH rear axle bearing. BTW, the axle bearing was sort of sloppy after
102k miles and 41 years. It got replaced and lubricated with  Valvoline High
temp. synthetic wheel bearing grease.

Jay
Lake Placid, FL.