Re: [Amc-list] NAPAONLINE

<snip>
> I imagine -- I do not know -- that NAPA HQ is run by good solid
> car parts business people but wouldn't know good software if
> they're kids handed it to them. They probably see it as new
> fangled hippy sh*t the dork kids in the backroom want. Wake up
> guys! Those dorks will sell your parts for you!
<snip>

One other factor with this is what they have invested in software and
hardware. They are running a product called Net.Commerce which IBM used
to produce (it's replacement is called WebSphere Commerce Suite now and
the only thing it has in common with Net.Commerce is IBM makes it). When
the company I work for was looking at this stuff in the late 90's, IBM
was quoting mid to high six figures for software and consulting for
installation and customization. I don't think we were ever quoted
hardware and database but that could have been another couple hundred
thousand easy. If online sales have never panned out like they thought
it would (especially if they don't show any signs of panning out and if
the business isn't moving in a direction that requires online stuff --
i.e. you're never going to download a carburetor to a CD and install it
in your Hupmobile), I can see where they wouldn't want to spend another
million or so to replace it with something else. It costs a lot of money
(and no, open source software doesn't save you much, we've looked into
it at work) to do an eCommerce site that integrates with the traditional
back end processing systems and stupid processes/politics that lots of
places have to offer (especially for companies that have been around a
long time).

Matt
--
mhaas@xxxxxxx