Re: [Amc-list] NAPAONLINE

Many years ago, in a town not far away, I sold foreign auto parts.  It
was a small shop with only two of us working there.  We didn't do much
walk-in or telephone retail service, mostly shops calling us.  In short
order, we were the ones who were getting calls first because we were
knowledgeable, courteous, and delivered parts promptly (or advised the
customer if we couldn't).  We had a microfiche machine, a computer for
invoices and inventory, and a cash box.  Most of the time I would be
delivering parts 70-75% of the day, with the balance being restocking
and working the counter.  This was before the Internet, so word-of-mouth
among local garages was our advertisement.

I think this is what makes me a much more demanding customer at times.
It's so nice to find a counter person who will go the extra mile to help
you find something and not just be a mindless boob pressing buttons on a
keypad and coming back a few seconds later with, "We can't get it."  I
went to a local parts store (another I had worked in some time ago) to
get hatch lifts for my Eagle.  Oddly enough they are listed as also
fitting a couple years of Mustang II.  The younger of the two fellows I
spoke of was looking up the parts, but was having trouble.  The older
fellow looked them up and found that the listings go to 1987.  I related
the story of how there were only a few 1988s and that more than likely
the 1987 parts would fit with the disclaimer that I was willing to
chance it.  Well... they fit like a charm and now instead of the hatch
falling on my head, it goes up by itself!  Oh yeah... God forbid someone
would turn around and look up a part in the book.

For on-line sources, I have found Rock Auto to be excellent.
CarParts.Com (JCWhitney) and Advance Auto Parts Web sites are somewhat
useful in researching parts.  NAPAs Web site is worthless.  I usually go
to the store that found me the hatch struts or Advance Auto.  I got the
ignition upgrade parts from Advance.  The fellow behind the counter
there was excellent and not put off that my Ford parts were for an
ignition upgrade for an AMC.  I also like to use some manufacturer Web
sites for cross referencing parts or just seeing what's out there.

A good parts person is as good as a good mechanic in my opinion.

Russ (from Pa.)
1988 Eagle