Re: [Amc-list] 287/327 pushrods

adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker) said:

>" From: Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx
>"
>" Trans, yes, the 287 does use a lighter duty trans then the 327.
>" I'm not sure if it will or will not hold behind a mild 327.  The
>" converter is different too, IIRC,  the  327  uses  an  engine
>" mounted  ring  gear  on  the  flexplate.  287  uses a ring on the
>" converter and smaller flex. I hate using IIRC, but I  don't  want
>" to  give  the  impression  I  am  100%  sure of this.  I've often
>" wondered if the 287 converter is looser then the 327 and could be
>" used with the 327 trans.
>
>i don't -think- converters would swap.  we're talking aluminum and
>iron warners here.

Waitaminnnit.  The 287 used an iron Warner also.  It wasn't until the 290
came along that AMC put a V8 in front of an aluminium case trans.

>from what little i've heard about aussie hot rodders, if you could
>beef the aluminum warner the way they do it would stand up to the
>kind of driving you have in mind.  i have some notes...  and i think
>-most- of the parts are readily available here.  all you'd need is a
>-good- auto tranny shop with a smart tech experienced with older
>foreign cars.

The best thing about the iron Warners is that they are essentially a
Ford-O-Matic; which brightens the modification and parts availability
horizon quite a bit over what it would be had the the trans been exclusive
to AMC.

Some stuff for the Ford tranny can be used directly or adapted for thr AMC
Warner.

-- Marc