Re: [Amc-list] 287/327 pushrods

" From: Archimedes <Freedom@xxxxxxxx>
"
" adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker) said:
"
" >" From: Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx
" >"
" >" Trans, yes, the 287 does use a lighter duty trans then the 327.
" >" I'm not sure if it will or will not hold behind a mild 327.  The
" >" converter is different too, IIRC,  the  327  uses  an  engine
" >" mounted  ring  gear  on  the  flexplate.  287  uses a ring on the
" >" converter and smaller flex. I hate using IIRC, but I  don't  want
" >" to  give  the  impression  I  am  100%  sure of this.  I've often
" >" wondered if the 287 converter is looser then the 327 and could be
" >" used with the 327 trans.
" >
" >i don't -think- converters would swap.  we're talking aluminum and
" >iron warners here.
"
"
" Waitaminnnit.  The 287 used an iron Warner also.  It wasn't until the 290
" came along that AMC put a V8 in front of an aluminium case trans.

if this is true, it makes the 287-327 swap dead simple for dave.

" >from what little i've heard about aussie hot rodders, if you could
" >beef the aluminum warner the way they do it would stand up to the
" >kind of driving you have in mind.  i have some notes...  and i think
" >-most- of the parts are readily available here.  all you'd need is a
" >-good- auto tranny shop with a smart tech experienced with older
" >foreign cars.
"
"
" The best thing about the iron Warners is that they are essentially a
" Ford-O-Matic; which brightens the modification and parts availability
" horizon quite a bit over what it would be had the the trans been exclusive
" to AMC.

more precise to say the ford and warner shared common
ancestry/development.  the warners were the m-series; i thought i read
somewhere that that's where the m in the ford fm-series came from.

and they're still similar enough that the fmx bolts up to the m-series
converter housing.

" Some stuff for the Ford tranny can be used directly or adapted for the AMC
" Warner.

right down to the fmx, used up to about '80.