Re: [Amc-list] 287/327 transmission (was pushrods)

Re: [Amc-list] 287/327 transmission (was pushrods)

I don't know about the Jeep trannys. IIRC the 287 should use the T-86
three speed, the 327 the T-89. The model will be cast into the side of
the trans case. The T-86 will hold up for normal driving as long as
you're not hard on it. I used a T-96 behind a 4.0L for 18 months --
though the synchro didn't last more than 2-3 weeks. The T-86 should fare
a bit better behind a 327, but won't last as long as the T-89 would due
to the added torque going through it. In those days AMC tended to
overbuild a bit instead of providing just enough as they did in later
years (such as the SR-4 behind the 258 and 304/2V in the Hornet/Concord
body). Reliability was high on their list back then.

Andrew, you're probably aware that the aluminum B-W didn't come out
until 1962 or 63. Even the 61 American had an iron M-8 behind the 195.6
L-head! Way overkill for the engine, but I've seen a couple original 61s
with the auto. Of course after those years there would be the difference
between aluminum and iron cased models (M-8/M-1x iron and M-3x/M-4x
aluminum models).

I'm not sure if there were internal differences in the six cylinder M-8
vs. the V-8 model or not. Could have been different clutches and bands
or amount of, and even a different planetary cluster. I'd have to check,
but I don't think the TSM will show any differences. Parts book might,
but that's a lot of digging!