Re: [Amc-list] Trademarks

" In my mind, we have the engineers and the technology to do the job,
but
somewhere the new thinking either isn't being encouraged by management
or its
there and isn't being executed on the plant floor. Either way, something
needs
to be done soon or we won't be seeing some very big players around much
longer.

marketeers and widget managers, and top-down authority.  widget
managers know business but not necessarily the car business, and
worse, believe they don't need to know the car business.  to them the
company's real product is dividends [and their bonuses] and however
dividends are produced is incidental.  eg. manage the money and the
rest will follow...
-----------------------------

When GM introduced the Chevy Sprint to replace the Chevette as their low
price leader, it was the beginning of the end for GM. I think it was the
president of GM at the time that said ".. we're in business to make
money, not cars, we just happen to make money by making cars. If we can
buy them to sell cheaper than we can make them, we will.." Well, that's
more or less the quote.

Car guys don't necessarily make the best managers, but they make one
heck of a product! There needs to be a balance, but GM is big enough
that they can make at least one cutting edge/risky model every couple
years. Maybe bounce it around the divisions so one doesn't take a big
hit like Caddy did with the V-4-6-8 way back when. It's a risk that you
have to take, but things do need adequate development time!