[Amc-list] Popular Hottrodding and the Camaro

[Amc-list] Popular Hottrodding and the Camaro

They give first 1967 sales figures (first year of
Camaro sales) to show that it probably did begin to
cut into Mustang sales.  They mention the Barracuda
figures for 1967 too, and then there was the poor AMC
Marlin with only about 4500 sold.  No wonder people
were laughing at AMC and isn't it amazing how the AMX
and Javelin changed some peoples minds about the
company ........but not the editors at PHR evidently.
--------------

Most magazines are businesses too, and they can't sell enough to the AMC
crowd -- there just aren't enough of us. If I printed an AMC magazine
based on performance cars only, I'd sell a lot more. But I'm not
interested in total sales, I'm more interested in preserving and
spreading information on all AMCs, not just performance, trying to cover
every model. In fact, the ones that are less likely to get covered
elsewhere are the ones I'm most interested in giving some coverage. The
underdogs underdogs... but I do cover performance, I try to cover
everything equally in AMC Magazine. It's a tough job!

Concerning the article about 67 models though... AMC attempted to market
the Marlin as a sporty car in the same league as the Mustang and Camaro.
We can all see now that it just couldn't compete, but in 65 when it came
out who could tell if a larger version would do well or not? By 67 I
think they knew, but AMC had started the marketing. The Rogue would have
been a better comparison to the Mustang/Camaro in 67, but then it was
more like the Falcon Sprint and Chevy II V-8.