Re: [Amc-list] T14 OD

Ray, I'm just curious -- have you rebuilt any of the T-96 trannys, or
were they all high mileage (80K+) units? What failures have you had
(what parts)?

I ran a T-96 behind a 4.0L for a short time, I know it's not a strong
trans, but it held up. Never had a problem running it behind a 195.6
L-head or OHV, though that was 20 years ago.

The weakest point is the 2-3 synchronizer. It wasn't made for aggressive
shifting. The 4.0L (stock) made short work of that even with
conservative shifting -- the synchro lasted about 100 miles!! It was
gone in a week of normal driving. After that I double-clutched and timed
shifts for about a year. After 10-15K miles (when I finally replaced it)
the gears were showing some wear, looking like they had 40K or more
miles on them. The trans was rebuilt with a new gear cluster and input
shaft before being put in.

Behind a 195.6 in an American the T-96 should be holding up, just don't
downshift to first until you're almost at a complete stop, and don't
aggressively downshift from 3-2. Upshifts should be fine. If you have it
behind a 232, you've exceeded the design capacity. AMC had a special
version (T-96J) built for 70-71 Hornets and Gremlins w/232 that had a
slightly larger input shaft and bearing that would take a little more
torque. Even so it was marginal. That's what I used behind the 4.0L. If
you're running a 232 that explains everything!