[Amc-list] new lifters old cam

Armand,

I agree with Brien, for the cost of a new cam, it's
not worth the chance.  Now if the lifters were still
in good shape indicating there wasn't many miles on
them and they were in order for each lobe, then I
would use them as a matched set.  OEM replacement
lifters will cost you are $50 (fine for most
applications).  A good set of anti-pump hydraulic
lifters will be around $80-100.  A cam will be
anywhere from $75-200 for a hydraulic flat tappet.  I
have quite a few grinds in the $100 or less range.

Now, if you do round a lifter, it will most likely
happen right away meaning a lot of metal in your oil
quick (could be a fast as the initial 20 min break in
period).  If that is the case, at a minimum, you will
be out the cost of the lifters, gaskets and labor.
Worse case, you do internal damage to more vital
parts.  I feel your budget concern, but is it worth
the gamble.  Especially when you already have it torn
down to the point where you can install a cam and
lifters.

My advice, change them both and you will be happier in
the long run.  Like I said, if you were telling us you
had a matched set (cam and lifters) that both appeared
to be in good shape and didn't show any wear, I would
feel more comfortable telling you to take a chance
with it as long as all lifters were indexed.  I have
done this in the past but only where both parts were
good.  Most of the time it was fine but a couple times
it failed and failed quickly.  Even back then when I
was on a budget, it sucked more to have to tear it
back apart again then the cost of the parts.

Just my $.02

Nick Alfano
Alfano Performance
Kenosha, WI. 53142
262-308-1302
262-942-8271 after 6pm central and weekends

Message: 2