Re: [Amc-list] new lifters old cam

I've installed used cams before, and never had a problem. Just treat it
like a new cam -- plenty of break-in lube, and break it in just like a
new cam. You can use the old lifters IF they are in good condition and
are kept in the EXACT order they came out of the old engine. The cam and
lifter "break into" each other. If the lifters aren't in good condition
or can't be kept in order, replace them all. With lifters so cheap I'd
do that anyway. I've never changed the cam bearings when replacing a cam
unless rebuilding the engine. It's pretty common for hot rodders to
change cams in an engine that's already been running. There isn't a lot
of stress on the cam bearings as long as the engine oil system is good.

After saying all that, I have to agree with Brien and Nick -- there's
less chance of something going wrong if you replace the cam as well. In
either case, make sure you use an oil additive with a high sulphur
content for the break-in. GM "MOS" is what most builders use for the
break-in period, with some using it in the next oil change as well. I've
been told that there are one or more of the oil companies have a
"break-in" additive, can't recall now. Might be a Rislone product?