[AMC-List] American rear end?

I just stumbled on a made of unobtanium GM S series two wheel drive 3.42 geared 8.5" rear axle. Shipped it will cost me $400 even. It's a 34,000 mile axle shipped from a yard with no brakes except possible backing plates that could be either drum or disc.
   I'm trying to decide if this is a good move? The axle is 54" wide and will allow 1" wheel adapters or spacers to go to 4.5" bolt pattern. I have been considering using the S series as I like the vented aluminum calipered rear discs they use. Being able to get the 3.42 gear in the 8.5" axle is a big bonus. So I'm wondering if I am being wise to go this route??? Just how good is the 8.5" axle? I know it will look right under the car as it resembles the AMC15.
   With the 2.95 geared World class Cobra spec trans installed and this rear axle I would think I would be at a relatively safe point for the driveline to be matched up with no real weak links left?
   Help me think this one thru guys!

--
Mark Price
markprice242ATadelphia.net