Re: [AMC-List] American rear end?

" From: Mark Price <markprice242@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" I just stumbled on a made of unobtanium GM S series two wheel drive
" 3.42 geared 8.5" rear axle. Shipped it will cost me $400 even. It's a
" 34,000 mile axle shipped from a yard with no brakes except possible
" backing plates that could be either drum or disc.
"    I'm trying to decide if this is a good move? The axle is 54" wide
" and will allow 1" wheel adapters or spacers to go to 4.5" bolt pattern.
" I have been considering using the S series as I like the vented
" aluminum calipered rear discs they use. Being able to get the 3.42 gear
" in the 8.5" axle is a big bonus. So I'm wondering if I am being wise to
" go this route??? Just how good is the 8.5" axle? I know it will look
" right under the car as it resembles the AMC15.
"    With the 2.95 geared World class Cobra spec trans installed and this
" rear axle I would think I would be at a relatively safe point for the
" driveline to be matched up with no real weak links left?
"    Help me think this one thru guys!

i don't follow the gm boards so i don't know how it's regarded
generally, but it definitely isn't as strong as a dana 44 - that was a
sought after camaro/firebird swap in the late '80s.