Re: [AMC-List] complete set for rebuilding a 196 head?

Re: [AMC-List] complete set for rebuilding a 196 head?

Kanter is probably the most cost effective. Egge Machine, and Rambler
vendors like Blaser's and Galvin's will probably be a little more, but
I'd try the AMC vendors first. If not much more I'd use them anyway.

All the 196 OHV or L-head valves should be the same -- RESPECTIVELY.
Can't mix OHV and L-head. If the length, diameter, and keepers match,
they fit. You can actually fudge on the length a little due to the
adjustable rockers, but I'd say no more than about +/- 0.05". That's a
lot, actually, but hard to see that much. Nothing wron g with using
another make valve that fits, but I doubt there is anyting with a valve
head that fits that is the right length and diameter. You'd need guide
work at the least.

On October 27, 2006 Justin Shelton wrote:

> Hi, Guys:
>
> I dropped off a head to be rebuilt at the local Napa machine shop.
They have done excellent work for me before on a set of IH 304 heads
and a set of Stude 289 heads.

> Anyway, I got a call back that they cannot find valves or other
components.  If find this a bit odd . . .  I have had Rambler 196 heads
rebuilt before and have never heard of a problem finding parts, but of
course haven't used this place.

> I looked at Kanter, and they want $15/valve, which in valves alone
will run me $180, and that doesn't include guides or seals.

> My question is: other than Kanter, is there a "one stop" place to buy
a complete set for rebuilding a head?  Or do I have to buy individual
component pieces?

> My other question is: I have a collection of NOS engine parts, so  I
dug through boxes of valves. I have various valves for 196 heads, but
none that are specifically for a 1960 head.  How much did the heads
evolve over the life of the 196 OHV engine?