Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 13:10:59 -0800
From: Justin Shelton <hydeparker@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-List] complete set for rebuilding a 196
head?
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi, Guys:

I dropped off a head to be rebuilt at the local Napa
machine shop.
They have done excellent work for me before on a set
of IH 304 heads and a
set of Stude 289 heads.

Anyway, I got a call back that they cannot find valves
or other
components.  If find this a bit odd . . .  I have had
Rambler 196 heads
rebuilt before and have never heard of a problem
finding parts, but of course
haven't used this place.

I looked at Kanter, and they want $15/valve, which in
valves alone will
run me $180, and that doesn't include guides or seals.

My question is: other than Kanter, is there a "one
stop" place to buy a
complete set for rebuilding a head?  Or do I have to
buy individual
component pieces?

My other question is: I have a collection of NOS
engine parts, so  I
dug through boxes of valves. I have various valves for
196 heads, but
none that are specifically for a 1960 head.  How much
did the heads evolve
over the life of the 196 OHV engine?

- Justin