Re: [AMC-List] T-14 Overdrive

"Thanks for pointing the need for the 3.31 or steeper axle with OD.
You have to be carefull not to overdo, er, under gear the car!
I run a 3.31 with T-5 and about a .8 overdrive right now. [255/60/15
tires] So
figuring this ends up geared about the same as a 3.08 normal tired car
that
puts it at about a 2.46 final drive.
It does real well with this combo.
When I put the new T5 with .64 overdrive in I intend to move up to an
S-10 two
wheel drive, disc brake rear axle with 3.42 ratio. I think I may end up
under
egared though as this will end up at about 2.04 final in OD. Maybe it
will work
with torque of the EFI 4.0L, but now that I do the numbers I  may have
to look
for a steeper geared axle. The two wheels drive S-10 axles measure in
about 54
3/8" this is about 2" narrower then the stock American axle. I'll
probably run
spacers for the time being, but as I run a wheel with 4 1/4" switching
to a 3
1/4" backspace wheel at a later date will likely happen as they are a
standard
aftermarket wheel at that offset."
-------------------------------

I found out too. I ran a 3.08 with my AW4 (0.70:1 OD, same as the old
Borg Warner units -- all were the same ratio) for a while. The stroker
will pull it, but will labor at cruising speed unless you're running
85+. No point in using fifth gear until you hit 80 (I could shift into
OD after 70 and it would still labor). LABOR, but NOT STRAIN. There's a
difference! The engine would pull the gear with no problem at all, but
you could tell it was working harder, especially in gas mileage. I
wanted a 3.31 -- I think that's the best compromise power/mileage gear
for a 0.70:1 OD. I ran that with the stock 4.0L and T-96 (T-96 is to
weak and was replaced before it broke -- except for the synchronizer)
and it was wonderful with a stick. I'm running a 3.55 with my AW4 now
and it's about right. Runs like a stock Cherokee, which also has a 3.55
rear. I always thought a 3.31 would be perfect for a Cherokee and the
3.55 was used to get a bit more towing power (higher weight rating), but
now I'm not so sure. My engine runs better if I keep it around 2000 rpm.
With the 3.55 gears I shift into OD if cruising over 50 (which is only
1600 rpm, otherwise keep it out. At 2000 rpm I'm running 70 mph with the
205/70R15 tires. Wanted to run 65's, but had to run 70s to keep the
diameter up so the speedo would read correctly. Couldn't get 16's in the
backset I needed for the Jag axle -- 205/65R16s would have been nice!