Re: [AMC-List] T-14 Overdrive

Thanks for pointing the need for the 3.31 or steeper axle with OD.
You have to be carefull not to overdo, er, under gear the car!
I run a 3.31 with T-5 and about a .8 overdrive right now. [255/60/15 tires] So figuring this ends up geared about the same as a 3.08 normal tired car that puts it at about a 2.46 final drive.
It does real well with this combo.
When I put the new T5 with .64 overdrive in I intend to move up to an S-10 two wheel drive, disc brake rear axle with 3.42 ratio. I think I may end up under egared though as this will end up at about 2.04 final in OD. Maybe it will work with torque of the EFI 4.0L, but now that I do the numbers I  may have to look for a steeper geared axle. The two wheels drive S-10 axles measure in about 54 3/8" this is about 2" narrower then the stock American axle. I'll probably run spacers for the time being, but as I run a wheel with 4 1/4" switching to a 3 1/4" backspace wheel at a later date will likely happen as they are a standard aftermarket wheel at that offset.
   If anyone needs a 3.31 American axle, I should have two coming up for sale.
The one in the car has a sslightly turned axle tube, but works fine, it is twingrip and complete. The spare is an open axle from a 199 auto car, had 43K on it it is open and will need brakes I assume as it has sat for a while now.
--
Mark Price
markprice242ATadelphia.net