[AMC-List] T-14 Overdrive

I have a 68 American that I converted from T-96 to T-14 with overdrive.
I did the
conversion back in 1980 and kept the 3.08 gears. I had to use the
linkage for the
T-96 and readjust the shifter. I had to modify the transmission support
and the mount was about an inch further back. I was not to impressed
with the mpg as when
there is a 30% reduction, the rear end equates out to a 2.16. With
1-bbl, points and
bias belted tires the mileage was not what I expected.
Today, it is a different story. The 199 now as a 2-bbl carb, motorcraft
electronic
igination, radi tires and the rear end is now a 3.31. With a 30%
reduction, the rear
end equates out to a 2.32. What difference this made. I drove this 68
White American
to the NAMDRA meet this past Sept and average 23 MGP driving around 65
mph.
We just purchased a new 2006 Caravan and it gets 23mpg on the highway.
I think that
23 mpg on a 68 199 with 172000 miles with not rebuilt is pretty damn
good.