Re: [AMC-List] T-14 Overdrive

A: I find that steep gearing works well with AMC 6 cyls. I run 3.73 with 33"
tires and 5 speed in my MJ and it feels about right (even though my motor is
fading a bit having surpassed the 240,000 mile mark)

From: Mark Price <markprice242@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-List] T-14 Overdrive
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for pointing the need for the 3.31 or steeper axle with
OD.
You have to be carefull not to overdo, er, under gear the car!
I run a 3.31 with T-5 and about a .8 overdrive right now.
[255/60/15 tires] So figuring this ends up geared about the same
as a 3.08 normal tired car that puts it at about a 2.46 final
drive.
It does real well with this combo.
When I put the new T5 with .64 overdrive in I intend to move up
to an S-10 two wheel drive, disc brake rear axle with 3.42
ratio. I think I may end up under egared though as this will end
up at about 2.04 final in OD. Maybe it will work with torque of
the EFI 4.0L, but now that I do the numbers I  may have to look
for a steeper geared axle. The two wheels drive S-10 axles
measure in about 54 3/8" this is about 2" narrower then the
stock American axle. I'll probably run spacers for the time
being, but as I run a wheel with 4 1/4" switching to a 3 1/4"
backspace wheel at a later date will likely happen as they are a
standard aftermarket wheel at that offset.
   If anyone needs a 3.31 American axle, I should have two
coming up for sale.
The one in the car has a sslightly turned axle tube, but works
fine, it is twingrip and complete. The spare is an open axle
from a 199 auto car, had 43K on it it is open and will need
brakes I assume as it has sat for a while now.
--
Mark Price
markprice242ATadelphia.net