Re: [AMC-List] Ambassadors

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006, Mark Price wrote:

So what's the deal with those later trans'? The older
torqueflites are about as good as a transmission gets -- solid,
reliable, inexpensive, strong.

>   I'll take a clutch pedal and a shifter handle. I've never liked a trans that shifted when it wanted to, I prefer to do it myself.

A good automatic is a fine thing. They're not
un-controllable. Even without a shift kit, you can tweak up
settings to a good degree. Some have objectionable 1-2 or 2-3
upshift overlap, that feels the worst; shift kits remove that.

Not the same experience though, nor that sense of simple
connectedness to the box of rocks. But some of that fun would
have worn off for me 100 mi/day on the 5/605/405. (If you know
what that means you can sympathize :-).