Re: [AMC-List] Fw: AMC Spirit questions

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006, Mark Price wrote:

> Easy, both the 904 and 998 are good trans, No need to go to the 727 in a spirit.
> The amcforums has some good info on this stuff.
> For an engine, easiest choice is to build a stroker six.
> It will get you your required fuel econamy and not have you redo the entire car.
> You need a Jeep 4.0L block, install the Spirits  4.2L Rods and Crank with 4.0L pistons.
> Instant 275 cubic inches in standard bore! Install a mild cam, free flow exhaust and the fuel injection setup from an 91-95 Jeep and you'll have a real performer.

And even cheaper, if the 258 you've got is in good repair, go to
a 'yard and get an 1980's aluminum intake and matchin exhaust
manifold, and a Jeep Weber conversion, or a 2bbl-4bbl adapter
and a Holley 390. Put Duraspark II ignition on (also mostly
junkyard parts), and the biggest exhaust you can fit (even if
it's neck up from the downpipe -- overall restriction will be
vastly improved) -- and you'll have DIRT cheap performance.

Won't touch the stroker though for HP of course. The 904
(almost certainly what you've got) will be just fine under it.